Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Brrrrrrr.

It snowed in Ballarat yesterday, and reached the super toasty temperature of 2 degrees. The snow settled enough to cover all the paddocks and the back garden in about 5cm's of the white stuff. Reminded me alot of the interior of BC covered in snow, and brought memories of Canada flooding back. This is not a one off, it seems to happen for just about anything i do, expecially driving, or sitting in the car when someone else is driving.

It took me about 6 months i think, to get used to cars driving on the right-hand side of the road, and by the time i left, it was second nature, i was completely used to it. It took me all of 6 hours to be used to cars on the left-hand side of the road again. However, every time i turn right, i feel like i should be pulling onto the right-hand side of the road, and it just makes me think for a split second, and then i realise i have to go to the left-hand side of the road.

I quite enjoy that small fraction of a second, makes me remember i was somewhere completely different for long enough for something totally foreign to become habit.
I'm sure in 6 weeks, i will be totally used to right hand turns to the left-hand side of the road again, and the thoughts and the smile i get each time i turn right wont even cross my mind. It's the simple things that amuse us the most.

It's good to be home though, i mean jeez, what is with driving on the wrong side of the road!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Simo,
Just found your email and pics (the wife didn't mention it and I didn't check email for some time). This whole left right drive thing really does stir the brain. Good memories for me also. Trips to the airport were fun!!
Cheers mate.
Todd